Sunday 7 September 2014

Because you're not a true Brit if you don't enjoy a good afternoon tea...

Afternoon tea, I live for it and as harsh as this sounds, in my opinion, you are not a true Brit if you don't enjoy a good afternoon tea.  I like finger sandwiches, I like scones, I like tea and I LOVE cake.  So much. 

I like to think of myself as something of an afternoon tea connoisseur (and what I mean by 'afternoon tea connoisseur' is that I just really REALLY like cake. A lot!) and I've had a fair few afternoon teas at various hotels and cafes around the UK and even had one in the Middle East when I spent a week in Qatar last April and I've yet to be let down by one.  However, I experienced the best afternoon tea by far just last weekend for my brother's 28th birthday when I was introduced to Juliets in Tunbridge Wells (and before you accuse me of some heinous grammatical error, there's meant to be no apostrophe!) and my eyes were opened for the first time to a world of delicious cakey goodness!




When we stepped inside Juliets, the atmosphere was buzzing and it rocked a quirky, shabby chic, almost Shoreditch vibe which I couldn't help but be mesmerized and swept up by.  Everyone who worked there was lovely and they were totally on it with the service despite the place being packed out.  I also adored all their crockery (I never thought I'd ever use the words 'adored' and 'crockery' in the same sentence.  I've changed.), their mismatching teacups and saucers, plates and spoons and quirky teapots made me feel like I had fallen down the rabbit hole and was hanging out at the Mad Hatter's tea party awaiting Lewis Carroll's pen to hit his paper and write up some terrific adventure for me to partake in.  Alas though, Mr Carroll must have been busy that day as no adventure came my way other than the marvellous onslaught of tea, sandwiches, scones and cake (which I was totally ok with, by the way!). 




I'm the first to admit that I'm pretty boring with my tea, I always opt for the standard English Breakfast Tea but it's a decision I've never regretted and what with me being incredibly fussy, it's a decision that has always stood me well, however, Juliets do offer a varied selection of teas if you're feeling more adventurous than me (which you probably are, because I'm a tea bore!).  There's also the option to add a glass of Prosecco or a Bellini to your afternoon tea which is never a bad thing!




Our selection of sandwiches, scones and cakes were brought out to us and I nearly passed out when I saw them on their stands with the anticipation of the soon-to-be feast being almost too much for my excited self to cope with.  The cakes included carrot cake, chocolate brownie and lemon tart and I'm just going to put this out there - the lemon tart was like a little piece of lemony heaven hanging out on my taste buds.  Juliets offered the best scones I've had at an afternoon tea as well, in fact they were probably my favourite element of this entire tea-centred meal, which is weird for me to admit considering I'm not a huge scone lover, so you know, big deal for me and all that! 




I honestly can't wait to go back there, even if just for a piece of one of their homemade cakes.  It was such a lovely way to spend an afternoon with my parents and brother and a great way to celebrate a birthday. 

I would thoroughly recommend Juliets to anyone, even if you don't live near Tunbridge Wells, it is well worth the trip.  Trust me, you won't regret it (mostly because it's impossible to regret anything that involves cake, am I right?!).

5 comments:

  1. You have such a lovely writing style :) And that afternoon tea looks amazing!

    Lagerfeld Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks :) I'm not going to lie, it was definitely a high point to my life haha
      Also your blog is so amazing, I absolutely love it! Amanda x

      Delete
  2. I just love tea! I probably drink it at least 3 times a day! That place looks amazing and everything looks so perfectly sweet! I need that carousel tea pot in my life!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great, isn't it? Although I've recently realised that I've become more of a social tea drinker and only have a cup of tea if someone else is having one too, I'm somewhat ashamed! Haha
      Amanda x

      Delete
  3. Of course, already followed! Love your blog! :)
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete