Wednesday 8 February 2012

The Top Ten Things That Make Me Ugly Cry

Ok, so I've just watched the first episode of the latest series of Being Human and all I can say is: I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR IT.


The final 5 minutes of that episode left me in an absolute emotional wreck, my Clinique mascara was pouring down my face & I was praying that the postman would not choose this moment to ring the doorbell to deliver any parcels because, quite frankly, it would have been awkward.


I personally find it quite cathartic to cry at certain films or any beloved TV series, and not just cry, UGLY CRY. Let's be honest, there is no one in the world or in fact in existence, who has not at some point in their life been victim to the 'ugly cry'. Personally, I like to think of myself as something of an 'advanced ugly crier' so for that reason I have decided to put together a list of my top 10 films or TV episodes that I can always rely on to get my ugly tears flowing. So have a look whilst I still work on coming to terms with the fact that George is now no more in Being Human (OH DEAR GOD I NEED A KLEENEX!).


1. Being Human. Series 4, episode 1 'Eve of the War'. Well this had to be on the list seeing as it's the reason why I'm writing this in the first place. I'm fine throughout the entire episode, it's just the last 5 minutes where I lose all control of my tear ducts & the water flows. The moment when Russell Tovey as the beloved George dies in the arms of Annie (Lenora Crichlow) is just too much and absolutely DESTROYED me.


 2. P.S. I Love You. The book as well as the film resulted in me crying within the first few minutes of the film & the first few pages of the book. I don't know why I chose to see the film when I had already read the book, I mean I knew what would happen, so I guess I kind of brought those sneaky ugly tears upon myself.


3. Skins. Series 2 (Episode 9 'Cassie' & Episode 10 'Final Goodbyes') & Series 4 (Episode 7 'Effy' & Episode 8 'Everyone'). Unsurprisingly these four episodes which I'm referring to are the ones where my favourite characters got killed off. In BRUTAL ways may I add. Gaaaaah.


4. Friends. The very last epsiode of the final ever series. To be quite honest I cry in most 'last ever episodes' just because I get so attached to them.....yeah that's kind of weird I know. Literally after the last Friends episode, I kept my cool and in a subtle manner left the room (where the rest of my family were), went into the bathroom, locked the door, and BURST into tears. There was some serious ugly crying going on. It was great. 


5. That bit in Love Actually where Emma Thompson's character realises that her husband (played by Snape/Alan Rickman) has bought a necklace for another woman, a necklace that she thought was for her. Basically Alan Rickman is a mean old man in this film & because of his actions he made hundreds of women, & I'm sure a few men, ugly cry their little hearts out. 


6. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Series 2 Episode 22 'Becoming Part 2'. There are no words for how distraught this particular episode left me. I mean, it's not unusual for me to ugly cry in Buffy episodes, but this one obliterated me. So much so, that whenever I hear that damn Sarah MacLachlan song (which they play at the end of the episode), it makes my eyes well up & I need a few minutes to compose myself.



7. Spooks. Pretty much EVERY episode because they tended to kill off their main characters at a ridiculously fast rate. I mean come on now, give us viewers a break. Or at least warn us before the episode starts that we may need some tissues nearby! Although actually that may suggest that it's an enitrely different type of progamme, so maybe not!


8. My Sister's Keeper. Now, I haven't read the book & after seeing the film, I have no intention in doing so. My friends & I made the mistake of going to see it in the cinema & within the first 5 minutes of the film EVERYONE in the cinema was crying. Myself included. Obviously. So after that experience, I don't think I could cope with reliving it through reading the book.


9. One Day. The film & the book both resulted in me crying off my entire eye makeup. I know the film got slated but I actually really liked it, as far as I'm concerned Anne Hathaway can do no wrong in my slightly puffy, tear dropping eyes. I would just like to point out that when I went to see this film, I checked with my friend to make sure it wasn't too sad (she'd already read the book & I hadn't at this point) anyway this is pretty much what she said to me: 'I'd say it's a mostly happy film'. No. No it is definitely not. It's sad & it's tragic & Anne Hathaway gets hit by a car whilst on a bicycle. As you can imagine, I ugly cried A LOT. At the cinema. In front of people. That was embarrassing. 


10. And finally, Jack Frost. I watched this for the first time this Christmas. Never again. I thought Christmas films were meant to be happy & jolly but there is nothing happy about a kid's dad dying & then coming back as a snowman & then going again. I mean, COME ON?! No thank you, I'll stick with Gremlins, Elf, Nativity & Home Alone 1 & 2 thank you very much. 


So there you have it, my top ten films and TV episodes that reduce me into the unfortunate state of ugly crying. I defy anyone not to ugly cry after watching any of those that I've mentioned. 

Now please excuse me whilst I get over George's death by sobbing into my pillow. Don't worry, at least I've got my waterproof mascara on!

No comments:

Post a Comment